How to stop ringing in ears: Sometimes the sound of noise in your ear is continuous and unstoppable. It can be in both ears as well. If it does not diminish for a long period, you may become irritated and find ways to get rid of it. Well, you have come to the right place then.
The ringing in the ears is called Tinnitus. It can be without any gaps or start after some time. Tinnitus is bearable to some extent, but it begins to distract you if it does not stop for an extended period. Other than ringing patient may also hear humming, clicking, buzzing, or hissing sound.
Causes of Tinnitus
It is estimated that about 50 million people face Tinnitus light or severe in America. There is no single known cause of ringing in the ears. But here are some perceptions:
- The presence of a large amount of earwax can increase Tinnitus, so the ringing in the ears becomes louder. One should not remove ear wax from cotton buds. Instead, please consult your physician for this purpose and follow what they ask you to do.
- Exposure to extreme short-term or long-term noise can lead a person to Tinnitus. Loud noise damages and destroys hair cells in the inner side of the ear. We cannot replace or renew these hair cells. It is observed that almost ninety percent of patients with Tinnitus face hearing loss as well.
- So, it may seem surprising to you, but some medicines produce Tinnitus as a side effect. It can be just a temporary condition, but sometimes it is permanent depending upon the doses one takes.
- Any physical injury, mainly neck or head injury, can induce ringing in the ears.
- Diseases or disorders like hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, Lyme disease, cardiovascular unfitness, and fibromyalgia promote Tinnitus.
How to Deal with Tinnitus?
Here are some tips to stop ringing in the ears:
- The first and foremost thing you can do is avoid silence. Yes, when there is no sound around you, tinnitus increases, and your ears start ringing louder. So it is a good idea to listen to soft and soothing music like nature, aquarium or humidifier.
- To recover from Tinnitus, a masker is a device that produces ‘shhh’ sounds. This sound made to suppress the ringing.
- Have cognitive behavior therapy to gain some relief by altering maladaptive thoughts.
- To indirectly get yourself free from Tinnitus, certain medicines are available. These drugs make you free from stress, insomnia, and depression, thus lessening sounds in your ears.
- One way is to retain sounds that you perceive in your ears. By ignoring sounds, you will be able to halt ringing. But it may take almost a year to show results.
- Before you move towards treatment, observe the stimuli that have caused ringing in your ears. See if you have started taking a new medicine, exposed to loud noise, or have any recent injury. It would help to focus on whether it is in both ears, at one side, or in the head. Does ringing stop or is it constant?
After noting all these essential factors, have a checkup from an audiologist. Go to an ENT for proper treatment. An ENT is a specialist of the throat, ear, and nose.
Also read: how to become a virtual assistant